Awendaw is a small fishing town in Charleston County, South Carolina, United States. The population was 1,294 at the 2010 census. Awendaw is part of the Charleston, South Carolina metropolitan area.
Awendaw was named by the Sewee tribe. Awendaw is thought to mean "Red Clay". It is also home to an oyster shell mound created by the Sewee tribe. It is the northernmost shell ring in a group that stretches south to the tip of Florida. Most of the mound is still intact. The rest of it was destroyed to construct roads and homes for the citizens of Awendaw. Awendaw was settled in 1696 as Wappetaw by settlers from Salem, Massachusetts, who had left after the Salem Witch Trials. The town was heavily damaged by Hurricane Hugo in September 1989, but did not receive as significant damage in 2004 when Hurricane Gaston made landfall in the region. In 1992, the town of Awendaw was first incorporated and elected Willam H. Alston as the first mayor. Alston served as mayor until 2009.
The Sewee Mound was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970. ~ the above taken from Wikipedia